Monday, May 7, 2012

Pineapple Candy Chips

So sweet.  Seriously tastes like an awesomely flavorful, chewy, full-of-sugar candy. I am so excited to have discovered these treasures.  My kids took them to school today and all their friends were jealous, so they look appealing too! I might do these for birthday treats if I can keep them around long enough. It might be hard to find a good pineapple in December, but you never know.

Pineapple is a super sweet fruit and dehydrating concentrates the sugars, so it would be really easy to eat too many.  They are an excellent substitute for candy, but if candy is your weakness, these will be too, fair warning.

I left the core in to keep the prep work simple.  The core is a bit woody, my kids don't care, I nibble around it.  I prefer to save the step.  All you need to do is to cut off the top and the bottom with a sharp knife and carefully trim around the sides.  These slide through a madoline really well, but you could also slice the rounds with a knife. I used three mm slice, but am going to try some seven mm as well. I laid them out on dehydrator sheets and dehydrated for 12 hours on 130 degrees.  You could also lay them on cooling racks and  lay out in the sun on a hot, dry day.  Oven temperatures do not typically get low enough for fruit.

Check out my Pina Colada Kabobs post for tips on choosing a great pineapple.

4 comments:

  1. This looks like an incredible idea! I'm so going to try it this week. We picked up two organic pineapple at the store for about $3 each this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great recipe! I have added it to my list. If you have any more dehydrator recipes, feel free to add them to the 101 Dehydrator Recipes link-up here: 101 Dehydrator Recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always loved dehydrated pineapple. Never really realized I could make this myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yummy, a project for the next time I buy a pineapple

    ReplyDelete

It's rude to eat and run. Humor me with conversation please!

Related Posts with Thumbnails